Many children are disabled as a result of injuries at birth, brain damage,
or other permanent injuries resulting from an accident, or medical malpractice.
In addition to the tragedy faced by the families of children who are disabled
due to a catastrophic injury, there are many personal and financial challenges
in insuring these children receive the best rehabilitation services. In
order to lead productive and independent lives, it is important to access
as many rehabilitation and educational services as possible, evaluate short
and long term living arrangements, determine whether there are legal avenues
regarding the injuries, and prepare for your child's financial security
as he becomes an adult.
Our firm can provide the following assistance to the families of such children:
- Helping you obtain governmental assistance in the form of special
education services (see Section on Special Education) and/or Regional
Center services (see Section on Regional Center Services). Services
through these governmental agencies may include:
- Neuro-cognitive rehabilitation services to assist recovery from
- Residential services if a child or adult is unable to function
- Vocational rehabilitation services
- Individualized education targeted to address the child's needs
- Helping families and their personal injury attorney maximize structured
or other monetary settlements by obtaining government funding for services
that would otherwise drain income from the settlement.
- Helping parents of children disabled from injuries or medical malpractice
to determine whether a personal injury lawsuit is appropriate and, if
so, obtaining counsel who understands the complex and emotional issues
involved and can insure the legal system provides a solution rather
than a new problem.